Relatives of disappeared asks fate of Mehmet Ertak

  • actual
  • 12:34 24 August 2024
  • |
img
AMED - IHD and relatives of the disappeared asked for the fate and perpetrators of Mehmet Ertak, whose detention in Şirnex was denied despite the testimonies of eyewitnesses and a JİTEM member. 
 
The Human Rights Association (IHD) and relatives of the disappeared gathered once again in front of the Right to Life Monument in Koşuyolu Park in Rezan (Bağlar) district of Amed (Diyarbakır) with the slogan “Let the disappeared be found and the perpetrators be tried” in the 811th week of their protests. Participants carried photographs of the disappeared and a giant banner with the pictures of the disappeared was laid on the ground.
 
STATEMENTS OF EYEWITNESSES 
 
Speaking here, IHD Amed Branch Chair Ercan Yılmaz said: “In August 2024, we are still here today demanding that the fate of our relatives who were forcibly disappeared be investigated. We are facing a government that has closed its eyes and ears to these squares on this issue” and demanded that the fate of the disappeared and their perpetrators be found. 
 
Then the story of Mehmet Ertak, who was detained in Şirnex (Şırnak) on August 20, 1992 on his way back from work and was not heard from again, was read at this week's protest. 
 
The story read by Berfin Elçi, a member of IHD's Board of Directors, is as follows: “Mehmet Ertak, a 32-year-old father of four, lives with his family in the Rezuk hamlet of Şirnex. Ertak works as a laborer at a coal mine in Şirnex. The whole family is under intense pressure and threats because his brother went to the mountains. Mehmet Ertak was detained twice and severely tortured during his detention.
 
On August 20, 1992, he set out with three of his relatives, Abdulmenaf Kabul, Süleyman Ertak and Yusuf Ertak, to return home from work. The car they were in was stopped at the Bakımevi checkpoint by plainclothes police officers. After an identity check, Mehmet Ertak was detained and taken to Şırnak Security Directorate. An acquaintance of theirs, Abdullah Ertuğrul, who was detained the next day and released two days later, told the Ertak family that he had been held in the same cell with Mehmet for a day while in custody. Three people witnessed him being taken into custody and six people witnessed him being tortured in detention.
 
The father İsmail Ertak applied to the prosecutor's office and witnesses who had seen Mehmet Ertak in detention testified before the prosecutor's office. When no results were obtained, on September 10, 1992, father İsmail Ertak applied to the Governor's Office. Governor Mustafa Malay questioned a witness who had seen Mehmet Ertak in custody and asked the gendarmerie and police whether Mehmet Ertak was being held in custody. The police reply that Mehmet Ertak has not been detained.
 
ORHAN DOĞAN BRINGS IT TO PARLIAMENT
 
The incident was brought to the Parliament through Şırnak MP Orhan Doğan on October 27, 1992 with a parliamentary question. In his response to the parliamentary question, İsmet Sezgin, the then Minister of Interior, stated that Mehmet Ertak had not been detained. All the applications made by the family were fruitless. Mehmet Ertak's detention was denied.
 
JITEM OFFICER TELLS EVERYTHING
 
Murat İpek, a JİTEM (Gendarmerie Intelligence and Anti-terror Unit) personnel working as an 'interrogator' for the Şırnak Security Directorate, confessed in 1997: 'We killed and buried Mehmet Ertak on the orders of Şırnak Security Director Necati Altuntaş and Anti-Terror Branch Director Mehmet Kaplan. He said that all the executions they carried out were carried out with the knowledge of Ünal Erkan, the then Governor of the State of Emergency. Despite all legal attempts and the confessions of the JİTEM member, Mehmet Ertak was never heard from again and his body was never recovered.  
 
ECHR CONDEMNS TURKEY
 
Having failed to achieve a result in domestic law, the case was brought to the European Court of Human Rights by lawyer Tahir Elçi on October 1, 1992. The European Court of Human Rights unanimously convicted Turkey on May 09, 2000, concluding that the government was responsible for the disappearance of Mehmet Ertak and that state authorities had caused it.”
 
After the reading of the story, the statement ended with a sit-in protest.
 

View More Articles

28/11/2025
14:37 Social problems and lack of justice contribute to rise in suicides says Psychologist Erol
14:20 Provocation at Kırşehir Prison: Pour boiling water on these terrorists
12:47 Release of 6 prisoners postponed
12:45 Gulistan Kilic Kocyigit: Abdullah Ocalan stated that the fundamental pursuit is political consensus
09:54 30 years in PKK case: “The work of the new era is the construction of a democratic society
27/11/2025
16:25 Journalist Aykol suffers third brain haemorrhage
15:41 ‘Our goal to convey Southern Kurdistan’s support to Ocalan’
12:44 What is happening at Suluca Prison?
11:46 ‘Öcalan’s philosophy transformed the colonized woman into a goddess’
11:02 Parliamentary Commission to meet on 4 December
10:11 React to tree felling in Dorşîn: A stance must be taken against eco-cide
26/11/2025
16:27 Kurdish youths apply to meet with Abdullah Öcalan
16:05 Statement from DAANES regarding attacks against Alevis
15:11 Turkish Workers Party: Minutes should be shared with public
14:42 Women taking to streets: We will continue to resist violence against women
11:49 Treatment of Journalist Aykol treatment continues
11:39 DEM Party to discuss 'process' at international conference
11:10 'Receding waters of Lake Van point to a climate crisis'
10:33 ‘Violations contrary to spirit of process, prisoner must release’
09:23 Real danger at every step for refugee women
25/11/2025
16:40 Women take to streets demanding equality
12:19 Abdullah Öcalan sends message to women on 25 November
12:15 Aggravated life imprisonment and solitary confinement despite mental disability report
10:50 Prisoners and visitors subjected to strip searches
10:15 2026 war budget to reach 2.1 trillion: Greater social problems ahead
10:05 Women in Syria unite against attacks
24/11/2025
16:48 Antibiotic treatment causing Aykol’s blood values to deteriorate halted
14:53 Journalist Aykol's blood values deteriorated
14:42 The commission's decision will pave the way for the process says Erdogan
14:29 ‘The right to life of 88 women violated in Kurdistan over the past year’
12:51 Commission in Imrali, minutes of meeting to be submitted to Parliamentary Commission
12:40 'All peoples should support the process'
11:51 Mazloum Abdi: We need to visit Imrali, Turkey should not be afraid of this
11:05 Parliamentary Commission heads to Imrali
10:59 Göran Therborn: Öcalan is the Mandela of our time
10:14 Baloch Fariba Borhanzahi: Jin, jiyan, azadî has been embraced as a shared cry
09:51 Rojhilat Young Women's Union member: The fundamental achievement is freedom
09:18 "International Conference on Peace and Democratic Society" in Istanbul
23/11/2025
15:49 Sapling planting held in Dorsîn to protest tree cutting
15:25 Journalist Aykol to undergo PEG treatment
15:17 Struggle for survival in a cycle of poverty, insecurity and violence
13:39 Jinwar sheds light on 'women's cities'
11:18 Mazloum Abdi speaking to MA: SDF participation strengthens the Syrian army and brings peace
21/11/2025
16:47 The Commission decided to meet with Abdullah Ocalan
16:06 From Bakirhan to the CHP: They are trying to turn opposition to government into opposition to a solution
15:49 CHP continues to sabotage process: They walked out of the meeting
15:09 We will not send a representative to İmralı says CHP Deputy Group Chair
14:54 Parliamentary commission convenes to discuss Imrali visit
14:49 Vice chair of MHP says he will go to Imrali
13:39 Kurtulmuş met with party coordinators