Journalist Müftüoğlu case: An unlawful trial was held

  • actual
  • 11:47 8 December 2023
  • |
img
AMED - Evaluating the non-release of journalist Dicle Müftüoğlu, MLSA Co-Director Veysel Ok said: "The court took into account the statements of the confessors to prolong the detention. If there is no statement of the confessor, that indictment is already a registration of journalism."
 
MLSA Co-Director Veysel Ok
 
The first hearing of the case in which Dicle Fırat Journalists Association (DFG) CoChair and Mezopotamya Agency (MA) editor Dicle Müftüoğlu is being tried on charges of "being a member of a terrorist organization" and "establishing and managing an organization", citing her professional activities, was held yesterday at Diyarbakır 5th High Criminal Court. Following Müftüoğlu's defense at the hearing, the prosecutor's office submitted an opinion and requested the continuation of detention. Then lawyer Resul Temur made a defense. After the defense, the court decided to "continue the arrest" without the other lawyers making their defense and without hearing the statements of Müftüoğlu and the lawyers against the opinion. Lawyer Veysel Ok objected to the court's decision. After the decision, Ok made a defense regarding the indictment in order to be recorded. The court decided to continue the detention of DFG CoChair Müftüoğlu and postponed the next hearing to January 18, 2024.
 
'A TRIAL FAR FROM THE LAW'
 
Evaluating the court decision for our agency, Ok said: "After the prosecutor's arrest opinion, in criminal law, it should first be asked whether the defendant has statements or not. Dicle could not make a statement against the arrest. The lawyers could not make a statement and announced the decision. We stated this in court. This is something I have seen for the first time in my personal legal history, perhaps in the history of law. The arrest warrant was announced without the lawyers and the defendant making a defense. It was a trial that was so far from the law. Criminal procedure was not applied in this trial. Despite this, we evaluated the indictment and wanted it to be recorded."
 
CALL FOR THE HEARING OF SEDAT YILMAZ
 
Reminding that MA editor Sedat Yılmaz is also detained and his trial will be held on December 14, Ok said: “In fact, Sedat is no different from Dicle. There is no evidence other than his professional activities, travels and a confessor. He has a hearing next week. What we want from the Ministry of Justice is for judges who know the file to conduct this trial. I invited all international and national institutions to Yılmaz's hearing."
 
MA / Müjdat Can

View More Articles

28/11/2025
14:37 Social problems and lack of justice contribute to rise in suicides says Psychologist Erol
14:20 Provocation at Kırşehir Prison: Pour boiling water on these terrorists
12:47 Release of 6 prisoners postponed
12:45 Gulistan Kilic Kocyigit: Abdullah Ocalan stated that the fundamental pursuit is political consensus
09:54 30 years in PKK case: “The work of the new era is the construction of a democratic society
27/11/2025
16:25 Journalist Aykol suffers third brain haemorrhage
15:41 ‘Our goal to convey Southern Kurdistan’s support to Ocalan’
12:44 What is happening at Suluca Prison?
11:46 ‘Öcalan’s philosophy transformed the colonized woman into a goddess’
11:02 Parliamentary Commission to meet on 4 December
10:11 React to tree felling in Dorşîn: A stance must be taken against eco-cide
26/11/2025
16:27 Kurdish youths apply to meet with Abdullah Öcalan
16:05 Statement from DAANES regarding attacks against Alevis
15:11 Turkish Workers Party: Minutes should be shared with public
14:42 Women taking to streets: We will continue to resist violence against women
11:49 Treatment of Journalist Aykol treatment continues
11:39 DEM Party to discuss 'process' at international conference
11:10 'Receding waters of Lake Van point to a climate crisis'
10:33 ‘Violations contrary to spirit of process, prisoner must release’
09:23 Real danger at every step for refugee women
25/11/2025
16:40 Women take to streets demanding equality
12:19 Abdullah Öcalan sends message to women on 25 November
12:15 Aggravated life imprisonment and solitary confinement despite mental disability report
10:50 Prisoners and visitors subjected to strip searches
10:15 2026 war budget to reach 2.1 trillion: Greater social problems ahead
10:05 Women in Syria unite against attacks
24/11/2025
16:48 Antibiotic treatment causing Aykol’s blood values to deteriorate halted
14:53 Journalist Aykol's blood values deteriorated
14:42 The commission's decision will pave the way for the process says Erdogan
14:29 ‘The right to life of 88 women violated in Kurdistan over the past year’
12:51 Commission in Imrali, minutes of meeting to be submitted to Parliamentary Commission
12:40 'All peoples should support the process'
11:51 Mazloum Abdi: We need to visit Imrali, Turkey should not be afraid of this
11:05 Parliamentary Commission heads to Imrali
10:59 Göran Therborn: Öcalan is the Mandela of our time
10:14 Baloch Fariba Borhanzahi: Jin, jiyan, azadî has been embraced as a shared cry
09:51 Rojhilat Young Women's Union member: The fundamental achievement is freedom
09:18 "International Conference on Peace and Democratic Society" in Istanbul
23/11/2025
15:49 Sapling planting held in Dorsîn to protest tree cutting
15:25 Journalist Aykol to undergo PEG treatment
15:17 Struggle for survival in a cycle of poverty, insecurity and violence
13:39 Jinwar sheds light on 'women's cities'
11:18 Mazloum Abdi speaking to MA: SDF participation strengthens the Syrian army and brings peace
21/11/2025
16:47 The Commission decided to meet with Abdullah Ocalan
16:06 From Bakirhan to the CHP: They are trying to turn opposition to government into opposition to a solution
15:49 CHP continues to sabotage process: They walked out of the meeting
15:09 We will not send a representative to İmralı says CHP Deputy Group Chair
14:54 Parliamentary commission convenes to discuss Imrali visit
14:49 Vice chair of MHP says he will go to Imrali
13:39 Kurtulmuş met with party coordinators